"I need a drink"


This a subject I think us moms need to discuss more often. If you stay at home and home school your kids sometimes you just need a drink. Now even if you do not home school and just stay home or if you just have kids period taking 15 minutes to relax with a fun drink is very necessary. This can be a hard thing to do for someone like me who only drinks alcohol about twice a year for a total of about 2 oz of wine.


Still I don't let my lack of taste for alcohol hold me back (please, please do not parent under the influence) I still enjoy virgin versions, sometimes even for breakfast.


So to honor all the moms who need a break here are some of my favorite recipes.



African Ginger Beer






Juice of 4 Limes
1 Cup Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
1 Large piece of Ginger, juiced
½ Cup Agave Nectar or honey
4 Cups Sparkling Mineral Water
1/8th Tsp. Ground Clove
1/8th Tsp. Ground Cardamom



There are a couple of ways you can juice the ginger- either in a juicer, or you can grate it on a microplane and then squeeze the juice out of the pulp using cheesecloth or a strainer. Mix all of the ingredients together in a pitcher and serve over ice. If you feel like a real drink, add some dark rum for a ‘Dark and Stormy.’ (Green Chefs)
Warning: This drink might leave you in a state of total bliss, only consume if you want to feel amazing.


Pina Colada



2 Cups pineapple
3 Cups Coconut milk
1 Tblsp Coconut Oil
2-3 Tblsp Honey or Agave
Ice
Now to get the coconut milk there are a few approaches I use based on what I have laying around the house. One way is to open a young Thai coconut and blend the meat with the water to get milk. Another way is blending 3 parts water to 1 part coconut shreds on a high speed blender and strain to get milk. Once you have everything put in a blender with as much ice as you like and blend.

Virgin Ginger Mojitos




Handful mint leaves, about ¼ cup
Juice of 1 lime
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1 Tbsp agave syrup
Top with sparkling water

Juice your lime into your glass, peel and grate ginger adding to your glass. Add mint leaves and muddle well. Add agave syrup, ice, sparkling water to top, and mix gently but thoroughly. Enjoy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
hello
Anonymous said…
Ooooh, those sound good. Can I add rum to the colada? And buy the coconut milk? :) Do you have any recipes for a good punch? Like the kind you get at baby showers, with the fruit and juices and carbonation? I crave that sometimes.
Have a great day!
Carmen said…
I've added some at times and it's just as good. If you buy the milk just make suer it's coconut milk and not the syrup bec. sometimes they look the same depending on the brand. I think I saw some good punch recipies that I wanted to try. I'll play around a little bit and get back to you. I do like to make carbonated lemonade that is always good and the beer recipie is awesome.
You have a great day too!
By the way you rock!
Anonymous said…
"You rock" coming from a marathon running, health food eating, home schooler? Puh-lease...you're sweet, but I think we know who rocks here! :)
Carmen said…
I'm sorry it took me so long to reply to you. Linda you do rock! Very few are the people that I have met that are as vulnerable and open as you have been on Nestor's blog. Not only that but sharing your ideas and being open to considering new ideas that are vastly different that yours shows to me that you have amazing character. Anyway, I really appreshiate your openess and your constant willingness to share of yourself and that with strangers.

Thanks for the compliment though. To be completely honest running keeps me sane and keeps me from loosing it.
Thanks again!!!
Anonymous said…
I'll revisit your comment at times when I'm blue. Thanks!