Chicken Veg Soup

To commemorate our first snow fall of the season we had chicken soup. Very appropriate for the cloudy skies and chilly breeze of the day. 
The base of this soup was gelatinous beef bone broth, in which I simmered an old hen for abt 2hrs. Then I added leeks, carrots, mushrooms, parsley, and bell peppers. As the vegetables simmered I removed the chicken from the broth and separated the meat from the bones and chopped it into bite sized pieces. Added meat back to stock and seasoned with salt, kelp, cayenne, chicken broth base ( I like Better than Bouillon), and a bit of tumeric. Once it tasted like a cozy blanket (y'all know that flavor right?), I added some cooked butternut squash to make it more hardy. My portion omitted the squash. This tasted like reassurance, love, warmth, and old times with my grandma. Really, it's what good soup should taste like.

Comments